Monday, August 27, 2012

Craftsy

I stumbled across Craftsy this summer and now I'm totally hooked.  Craftsy is a site for online crafting courses.  They have everything from cooking classes to sewing and everything in between.
I took the 50's Bombshell Dress class by Gretchen Hirsch from Gertie's New Blog for Better Sewing and it changed how I sew forever.  The class is set up into sections with videos for each part of the sewing process.  She explains everything very succinctly and the camera is always at a good angle so you can see what's happening.

The class starts with making a muslin, fitting it to your body, and altering the pattern.  I have to say, I would not normally be able to wear a dress of this type off the rack, vintage or new.  I'm too straight, not a lot of curves happening here.  This class showed me I could make a sweet vintage style dress that fits like a glove!

Some pics of my progress....

Completed bodice outside
All the hidden goodies
Lots of couture hand-stitched details on the inside
Pretty perfectly hidden lapped zipper
Spiral steel boning for the bodice
Steel boning offers lots of support as well as flexibility
Boning casing in the liner (I see some corset-making in my future!)
Finished interior: vintage style pinked seam allowances, pink ribbon waist stay, hand-stitched in liner with spiral steel boning, grosgrain ribbon zipper guard.  Love all this and no one will ever see it :)




2 comments:

poppykettle said...

s-t-u-n-n-i-n-g. I love the fabric you've picked, it really plays to the 1950's style dresses that I'm pretty sure inspired this pattern! Not only that, the dress really suits you. You look fabulous! I hope you get a lot of wear out of it ;)

Jennifer Joy Creative said...

Thank you so much!! It really was so fun to make. I love all those little nitpicky details :)