Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Textiles + Organic Farming with a sprinkle of German

I just have to share my most recent school experience.  A caveat here:  its only the second day of the semester so the classes are new thus exciting and not stressful yet.

A bit of background first.  I decided to go back and pursue my bachelors degree after 12 years of being a stay-at-home mom.  Both of my kids were in school full time and I was looking to do something completely different than making clothing, which I had lost interest in.  This was a year and a half ago.

I settled on Michigan State's horticulture program because it offered a Sustainable and Organic concentration and being the garden freak I am, this sounded perfect!  After 2 semesters, I could feel myself questioning what I was going to do in the end.  I didn't want to farm nor manage a greenhouse or work in the boring pointsettia industry.

I stumbled on a new and exciting option while talking one of my friends out at the MSU Student Organic farm.  She was in a program that allowed you to get a BA in Interdisciplinary Humanites.  You just needed to pick 3 areas of concentration and have 15 credit hours in each area (other college requirements also apply).  Now I could design a degree to my specifications that I would feel good about spending money on.  I chose Horticulture (because I DO love organic horticulture), Studio Art (because all of my photography credits from our local community college satisfied this portion of the degree) and Apparel and Textile Design (because its what I do and I really love it).

Fast forward ahead...I got my spring schedule all adjusted and here it is : Basic Apparel Structuring, Elementary German II,  Textile Materials and Organic Farming Principles and Practices.  These are my textbooks for Organic Farming:

How awesome is that?!

No comments: