Thursday, April 24, 2008

Happy Accidents

I just got in a small batch of roving the other day. Its like getting a big roll of natural fabric, a blank palette. I tried dyeing some 3 oz batches a couple different ways. The first one I did regular rainbow dyeing, where you paint the wet roving wrap it in plastic wrap and then steam it. I love this method cause you dont really have to touch the fiber so there's less chance of it felting. I got this...
which spun up in to "Midnight at the Oasis" mmmmm pretty...

Next I tried the hot pour method from the Twisted Sisters Sock book. You heat your roving on the stove with water and a bit of vinegar then pour the colors. It softens the colors but you have to be careful to not poke it too much or it felts. Well what I didn't realize is that some dyes split into different colors...so my well intentioned earthy brown, burgundy and plum mix did this...
What the hell? Where did yellow and green come from?! All I could think of was salamander (not that I don't like salamanders but I was hoping for something a bit more romantic)...
Now here comes the cool part...I snagged some of these from Loop on Etsy... in that collection of fibery goodness I found this beautiful black alpaca and firestar batt. Tons of sparkle and color...So that little tiny batt mixed with my ugly roving gave me thisAll the warm earthiness I could ever want with some sparkle to boot. I love happy endings....

1 comment:

tamdoll said...

A friend of mine gave me tons of alpaca. I don't know what to do with it. You're inspiring me to try spinning and mixing it with another thread, since it's brownish & grey.